It is important to understand the background of the Community of Jesus. It began with two laywomen who met at an Episcopal church in 1958. You probably already know that. However, it is necessary to understand all of it—not just the glossy marketing flyer version.
Cay & Judy were influenced by Mother Basilea Schlink. They developed a following throughout the East Coast. Their influence affected a couple other religious communities and how those groups were run, having particular influence over a private boarding school in Canada.
These are their stories.
To read their history, click on the name of each organization below or in the sidebar:
- The Community of Jesus, Orleans, MA; incorporated 1970
- Grenville Christian College, Brockville, ONT; affiliated 1973 — no longer exists
- Life in Jesus Community, Union Bridge, MD; founded 1982 — no longer exists
Research on the history of these organizations comes from several different resources, including:
- Interviews & discussions with former members of each organization
- A post on FACTnet by alphyn on Sept. 27, 2007
- The web site of Grenville Christian College
- "Mothers of invention", an article written for the Globe and Mail (Canada's national newspaper, much like what USA Today is to the United States)
- Another copy of the article is found on the Religion News Blog site.
- The web site of the Life in Jesus community